Ayurveda says that in summer season, we become easily affected by the effect of excess heat in the environment.
According to Ayurveda, in summer, Pitta (fire element) is aggravated, Vata (air element) is accumulated within one’s body and Kapha (water & earth elements) – particularly the water element – is released from the body in the form of sweat.
Due to Pitta aggravation, one may feel a burning sensation in the eyes, rashes on the skin, hyperacidity, bleeding from the nose, bleeding while passing urine and stool, sun/heat stroke, etc.
Due to Vata accumulation within the body which is caused by the excessive release of water in the form of perspiration and dehydration, one may experience headache, dizziness, nausea, sleeping disorders, lack of motivation, low enthusiasm, etc.
So the question is: how does one address and overcome these issues, commonly caused and seen in summer season?
Beat the Heat with Ayurveda
At present, we are experiencing the heat of the summer season in the northern hemisphere.
Generally, one feels quite affected and bothered by the heat, particularly those individuals who have Pitta (fire element) as their predominant dosha/element.Excess heat can cause headaches, migraines, dehydration, UTI, indigestion, loss of appetite, acidity, heart burns, hypertension, etc.
I am sharing here with you a unique health drink from Ayurveda which is very simple and easy to make. At the same time, it can correct and prevent many health issues caused by excess heat in summer.
- Take about 10 ~ 15 grams (about 1.5 tablespoon) of barley grains or powder and boil it in about 500 ml water, on a medium flame, till the quantity of water is reduced to about 250 ml.
- Strain the water, add ¼ teaspoon green cardamom seed powder, and cool it down to room temperature.
- Then add a tablespoon of pure honey to it and drink it during the day, especially before going out in the hot sun.
Note: If you want to drink this barley water after sunset, then drink it whilst it is still warm, and instead of honey, add a little rock sugar to it.According to Ayurveda, honey should never be mixed with any hot beverage/food, in order to avoid a toxic effect.
Here are some beneficial effects of this simple drink when specific ingredients are added to it, as per the individual’s requirements:
- It pacifies headache/migraine caused by heat.
- It can help to prevent sunstroke.
- It helps to normalise/regulate blood pressure.
- It can correct urinary tract infection (UTI).
- This unique drink can even help to remove kidney stones.
- This drink can also help to resolve cholesterol related issues.
- If taken in the evening, it can help to induce good sleep.
- It can also help to reduce bad quality fat from one’s body.
- It can also help to reduce excessive bleeding during menses, and even nose bleeds, if ¼ teaspoon coriander seed powder is added to this drink before consuming it.
- This drink can help to reduce burning sensation in the eyes if a ¼ teaspoon cumin seed powder is added to this drink before consuming it.
- For indigestion, acidity, heartburns, etc. – mix ¼ teaspoon cumin seed powder, ¼ teaspoon black salt, in the warm barley water, or mix black salt with honey in the room temperature barley water.
Other Do’s in summer:
- Massage your body regularly with white sesame oil in the early morning, 45 minutes before shower, to prevent inflammation and joint pains caused by Vata accumulation.
- Massage your scalp at night before going to bed with a little virgin coconut oil to prevent headache/migraine caused due to dehydration and Vata imbalance.
- Regular massage will also help to improve and maintain the health of your skin.
- Do not drink water or take a cold shower immediately when entering a shaded/enclosed area (home or office) after being outside in the hot sun.
- This can cause a sudden shock within your body and can disturb both Vata& Pitta doshas, leading to further aggravation within one’s system.
Enjoy good health in summer with this simple and highly beneficial Ayurvedic recipe!